Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park (SHP) temporarily remains closed due to concerns regarding the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
But, that doesn’t mean that you have to stop learning culture, science, and history! Check out these great resources:
EDUCATIONAL BOOKS AND RESOURCES AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ONLINE
Friends of Sutter’s Fort operates the Museum Store located within the walls of Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park.
All proceeds from this store support our ongoing efforts to preserve and protect historic structures and artifacts, and to fund memorable educational experiences that bring history to life.
The following items are available for purchase on our Online Store:
- Sutter’s Fort SHP Costume Manual
- Sutter’s Fort SHP Audio Transcript
- Rise, Ruin, and Restoration: A History of Sutter’s Fort – by author Cheryl Anne Stapp
- This is My Establishment (available in English and in Spanish) – written and drawn by Mark A Royer
Looking for some other great reads? We know just what you are looking for! Check out this list of staff selected reads available on our online store.
EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD
Resources from California State Parks and other partners:
- Overview of Sutter’s Fort SHP
- Stronghold of Pioneer Memories: Sutter’s Fort Online Collection
- Sutter’s Fort Character Guide from the CA State Library
- Fort Ross Conservancy Digital Library
- CA Historical Society Digital Library
Looking for a digital adventure or some hands-on fun? Check out these engaging learning lessons:
- 1840s Crafts and Activities from Sutter’s Fort
- STEM Lesson Plans from SMUD
- Resources for Children from the Roseville Utility Exploration Center
- Oregon-California Trails Association School Resources
VIRTUAL TOURS/FIELD TRIPS
Field trips are still available too! Check out these amazing virtual tours from around the world:
- PORTS: California State Parks Distance Learning Program – With over 20 programs each week, students can still virtually experience California’s beautiful parks! All programs are free and sessions are geared from Kindergarten to 12th Grade. Our Executive Director Linsey and her two young children participated in an Anza Borrego PORTS and loved learning about desert adaptations. PORTS also has some great 360* Virtual Tours to try. Here are just a few of our favorites:
- Home Made History – The Sacramento History Museum has launched a robust series of at-home activities including games, videos, coloring pages, and more. New programs are added each week and are fun for all ages!
- Sacramento @ Anytime Tours – The Sacramento History Alliance is offering virtual tours that take users on a journey through some of the more amazing moments in Sacramento’s history. “Anytime Tours” feature 50-minute digital walking tours through the Historic City Cemetery and Old Sacramento Waterfront highlighted by 10 stops at each location. The tours can be accessed at anytimetours.oncell.com or downloaded free of charge from the App Store or Google Play by searching Anytime Tours.
- Google Earth Tours of 113 National Parks – Google has created 360-degree Google Earth tours of 113 national parks sites, allowing you to visit parks and a number of monuments, historic sites, and seashores from your own home. Explore places you have always wanted to go but have never had time too. Who knows, maybe you’ll even plan a future visit!
- Google has also partnered with some of the most renowned museums in the world for online tours, which you can find at https://artsandculture.google.com/partner. Now you can explore American Museums such as the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History or the de Young Museum, or visit museums from across the globe like the Museum of Bands in London or the International Museum of Children’s Art.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
CONTINUE PRACTICING RECOMMENDED SAFETY PROTOCOLS
As a reminder, the best thing you can do at this time is to practice safe hygiene and stay at home. Remote learning is a great way to do this! We recommend following the Center for Disease Control (CDC) for the latest updates and news regarding COVID-19. Please remember to follow these recommended procedures by the CDC.